Conducting reference checks
You are now down to the final one or two candidates to fill a vacant position. At this stage, it is good practice to conduct checks on their employment history and backgrounds.
Such checks could include:
- Employment background checks
- Education and qualification checks
- Internet and social media searches
Employment background checks
For the employment background checks, the candidate usually provides the names of two to three past colleagues as referees. They typically were the candidate's direct supervisor, senior colleague or a Human Resource Manager.
In a background check, these questions are typically asked:
- Could you confirm the period during which X worked at the company?
- In what position did X work in? Who did X report to?
- What were X’s responsibilities? How many staff reported to X?
- How would you describe X’s performance?
- What was X’s working style and people management style?
- Why did X leave? Would you re-hire X?
Education and qualification checks
It is advisable to request for original and photocopies of the candidate's academic certificates and qualifications to ensure the candidate has been truthful about his or her education history.
Need help with your recruitment process?
Internet and social media searches
You could type the candidate’s name into Google, Facebook and Linkedin to find out what presence the individual has on the web, to see what comments the candidate has written or find out what others have mentioned about the candidate.
Great recruitment experience
We develop close and effective working partnerships with clients to ensure we understand their strategic challenges and search requirements.
Deep market insights in IT recruitment
Attracting and retaining IT talent begin with knowing what appeals to them. Conducting research studies and gathering market intelligence are essential parts of our search approach.
Ambitious, Innovative and Collaborative
Our values guide our approach to recruiting the best-matched talent for our clients and securing the best opportunities for our candidates.